Town of Arlington
Arlington, TN United States
The Town of Arlington is a growing community of 14,000+ residents, 12 miles east of the city of Memphis. This full-time position will provide professional expertise in all aspects of the planning and development process for the Town and help ensure compliance with Town regulations. The Planner must perform administrative and technical work with limited supervision, using independent judgement and discretion, and under the general supervision of the Town Administrator.
Duties include: administering municipal zoning, subdivision regulations, design guidelines; processing land development applications from concept to occupancy; supervising department staff; written and verbal responses to site inquiries; zoning code enforcement activities; analyzing and presenting project summaries to Town officials and committees; long-range planning activities; and coordinating with other local, county, and state agencies
Essential Functions of the Job –
(These are not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability.)
- Consult, advise, and answer questions from developers, contractors, members of the general public, various organizations and agencies, elected officials and attorneys on planning related issues and planning functions.
- Evaluate zoning and development applications for compliance with local policies, codes, and regulations to ensure they are consistent with Town goals (from building permits to large-scale planned developments).
- Coordinate with other department personnel and design professionals to assure a comprehensive analysis of items such as site plans, planned developments, and subdivisions to assure compliance with the Town’s Regulations and State Law.
- Draft project staff reports and recommendations of all development proposals. Direct staff in preparing agendas, minutes, and informational packets.
- Attend monthly meetings, outside of regular business hours, give oral presentations of land development requests, make recommendations, and present conditions for consideration in land development approval process.
- Provide administrative and technical support and guidance to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen (BMA), Planning Commission (PC), Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), and Design Review Committee (DRC).
- Oversee Code Enforcement efforts for the Town for Zoning and Municipal Code guidelines regarding land use, property maintenance, and similar issues.
- Supervise, direct, evaluate and coordinate department staff and other personnel actions.
- Attend meetings, seminars and training sessions as required to remain knowledgeable of planning practices and maintain professional certifications.
Required Knowledge and Abilities –
- Considerable knowledge of planning theory, principles, and practices, such as zoning, land use, comprehensive planning, economic and community development, architectural design principles, and site planning.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the public, developers, engineers, and public officials.
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, scales, and architectural and engineering drawings
- Ability to create and give presentations, which includes presenting data visually with maps and illustrations
- Ability to conduct independent investigations, analysis, and research related to land use challenges.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and explain technical problems and regulations using words and terms that someone not specialized in a specific field can understand.
- Knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office, internet applications, and GIS.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to successful completion with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable laws, ordinances, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time and occasional light lifting required.
- Most work will be performed in an office setting; however, some work is required in the field. Must be willing to go on job sites to perform inspections, run errands, and mail or receive documents in various weather conditions.
Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree preferred, from an accredited college or university in urban or regional planning, or a closely related field.
At least five (5) years of public management and professional planning experience, preferably in a municipal setting.
AICP certification is preferred, as well as excellent project management, oral, and written communication skills.
A background check will be conducted. Starting salary $60-70k based on experience, with a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply: Send your application, resume, and cover letter to the address below. The position will remain open until filled. Visit www.townofarlington.org for more information and for the full Job Description.
Arlington Town Hall
5854 Airline Rd
Arlington, TN 38002
The Town of Arlington is an equal opportunity employer and drug free workplace.