City of McMinnville
37110, TN United States
This position provides proficient planning expertise and direction to enable the City of
McMinnville’s growth and development. Employees in this class are under administrative
direction. Duties and responsibilities include work performed in planning, zoning and
related areas as assigned.
Employee drives a vehicle to sites, as needed. Duties must be performed during all types
of weather conditions. Employee also works indoors in an office environment.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• Bachelor's degree required, a Graduate degree in Urban Planning, Architecture,
Public Administration and/or AICP certification is preferred. Other related
degrees may be considered.
• Progressive experience in city or regional planning or related field of which some
experience must have been in an administrative or consultative capacity.
• Possession of a valid Tennessee operator's license.
• Must be examined by a City designated physician to make a determination if
applicant will be able to perform all essential duties required of this position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as
exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Coordinates and conducts site plan/plat reviews for conformance with City codes
and sound planning practices.
• Conducts site inspections for conformance with City codes.
• Reviews drawings, site plans, applications and related documentation for
compliance with ordinances.
• Provides technical/drafting/design assistance as requested. Assists in
implementation/operation of the City’s Geographic Information System and other
equipment. Uses knowledge of various software programs to operate a computer
in an effective and efficient manner. Performs various research duties; tracks
development and demographic information, complies statistical trend studies;
• Research topics, to resolve planning issues and problems.
• Develops maps and other graphic presentations to illustrate planning concepts.
• Serves as professional advisor and provides staff support to City of McMinnville
Regional Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and Historical Planning
Commission and attends all meetings.
• Reviews and advises on all subdivision plats, rezoning requests and land use
• Makes recommendations and proposes changes to the comprehensive land use
plan, major street plan, and zoning code and subdivision regulations.
• Prepares and/or generates correspondence, letters, memoranda, forms, reports, charts/graphs and other documents via computer. • Make presentations to the City Council as needed. • Prepares maps and other material for presentation at all meetings. • Responds to requests for information from officials, employees, members of the staff, the public or other individuals. • Uses knowledge of various software programs to operate a computer in an effective and efficient manner.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Considerable knowledge of zoning codes and subdivision regulations. • Knowledge of planning and design theory and methodology as well as the principles of land use, development and planning. • Knowledge of how to keep up to date on current improvements and developments in the field of community planning. • Knowledge of professional literature in the field of planning. • Knowledgeable and proficient with computer programs including GIS, and Power Point. • Ability to effectively communicate with supervisors, members of the public, elected and appointed officials and all other groups involved in the activities of the department. • Ability to assemble information and produce written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner. • Have good organizational, human relations, and technical skills. • Ability to use independent judgment and work with little direct supervision when necessary. • Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information. • Mathematical ability to perform required calculators. • Ability to read, understand and interpret financial reports and related materials.