Transit Planning & GIS Analyst
WeGo Public Transit
Nashville, TN United States
Title: Transit Planning and GIS Analyst
Purpose: The Transit Planning and GIS Analyst assists WeGo’s Planning Department with the multiple data streams that come into and out of the planning department. The Planning and GIS Analyst is responsible for collecting, maintaining, analyzing, and reporting various planning data, including customer surveys, ridership, and GIS files for departmental use. Work also involves supporting the Department in the preparation of different planning reports and documents, conducting statistical analysis of transit services, leading transit research and administering specifically assigned programs.
Reports to: Senior Transit Planner
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs data collection, database management and organization of public transit data for a variety of studies and reports; research, analyzes, and interprets ridership, system performance, demographic, employment, development, and land use data and trends that supports service development. Develops and implements recommendations; prepares written reports on various transit planning matters.
- Utilizes Geographic Information System (GIS) software and other software applications to perform geospatial analysis using data from multiple databases and sources as needed. Prepares data for use in the Transit Boardings Estimation and Simulation Tool (TBEST) and Conveyal Analysis software.
- Creates detailed GIS maps and quality-display visual presentations for a variety of purposes in support of Planning Department’s staff including general mapping, bus routes and stops, and demographic representations for public meetings, internal discussions and analysis and displaying data in descriptive formats. Assists with the development and maintenance of WeGo’s GIS files and databases.
- Researches and responds promptly and accurately to internal and external data and mapping needs requests.
- Assists the Senior Transit Planner with the review of development proposals impacting transit service; attends Development Review Committee meetings, reviews applications for consistency with WeGo’s Transit Design Guidelines and policies, coordinates with other Metro agencies and project applicants; schedules meetings and helps make recommendations.
- Conducts Title VI analysis related to service changes, fare changes, as well as implementation of transit capital projects.
- Helps update and maintain planning documents and develops recommendations for transit policies, plans and projects including close coordination with WeGo’s Engineering Department for next steps in project implementation.
- Assists with National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) reviews for transit projects including transit centers, stations, and other related transit infrastructure; helps coordinate with the FTA’s regional office environmental specialists on NEPA documents and requirements.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with state, federal, and local government agency staff, and the public.
- Develops written recommendations; makes oral presentations to higher level management or outside agencies; participates in public meetings and events.
- Assists in the development of grant applications and other funding materials.
- Provides support for various staff members as needed.
The primary duties are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job and must be performed unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. Other responsibilities are those functions which are considered incidental or secondary to the overall purpose of the job. This job description does not imply that the above are the only duties assigned to the position. Employees may be required to perform any other job related duties as requested by management.
- Proficiency with Esri ArcGIS software and ability to use for transit planning and analysis as well as ability to prepare, analyze, and interpret spatial data. Familiarity with TBEST and Conveyal Analysis software is useful but not required.
- Experience with travel demand forecasting models and application in transit ridership forecasting and analysis is a plus.
- Experienced with Microsoft Office Suite, and database programs such as Access and Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans and documents is helpful.
- Knowledge of transit concepts, needs, and challenges as they relate to transit planning.
- Familiarity with WeGo transit routes is advantageous.
- Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of the work performed. Achieves results with little oversight.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others both orally and in writing.
- Possess public speaking skills
- Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Exhibit professionalism in all interactions promoting a positive company image and work ethic.
- Promote cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Meet regular scheduled working hours including attending offsite meetings and events outside of normal business hours as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality
- Work with minimal supervision
Experience and Training:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university majoring in geography, urban and regional planning, statistics, computer science, technology, or closely related field and one to two years’ experience working with data gathering and analysis, developing reports, visual presentations, creating maps, and performing complex geospatial and other data analysis or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Major coursework may be substituted for the required work experience.
Physical Requirements with or without reasonable accommodations
Physical activity includes but is not limited to:
- Sitting, standing, lifting, reaching, walking, talking, writing, carrying, grasping, holding, clarity of vision, speaking, listening and repetitive motion of hands.
- Must be able to operate office equipment, including but not limited to, telephone system, computer system, printer, and copy machine.
Annual Salary: $54,000
DTO is an Equal Opportunity Employer