Community and Regional Planner
Greater Nashville Regional Council
Nashville, TN United States
The Greater Nashville Regional Council (GNRC) is seeking an experienced planner to join its Community and Regional Planning Department. GNRC facilitates the development of regional plans for transportation, solid waste, economic development, and a growing list of additional issues. At the local level, GNRC provides subscription-based staffing support to municipal and county planning commissions and develops local comprehensive plans and zoning ordinances on a fee-for-service basis.
The duties of the Community and Regional Planner include:
- Providing professional planning and technical assistance to local communities to include reviewing site plans, preliminary and final plats, and conditional use and zoning permits for compliance with adopted plans, policies, and regulations;
- Assisting with the development of local and regional long-range plans by 1) documenting and analyzing existing conditions and trends, 2) identifying and assessing best practices and tools, and 3) recommending policies, actions, or investment strategies tailored to address the specific planning objectives;
- Preparing and presenting staff reports to planning boards, boards of zoning appeals, stakeholder organizations, and the general public;
- Conducting research and analysis on planning issues to develop recommended updates to local or regional plans, policies, and regulations;
- Assisting with the development of maps and data visualizations using ArcGIS and other planning applications;
- Remaining current on state and federal regulations that govern or guide the various planning processes; and
- Performing other special projects as assigned by the Director of Community and Regional Planning
Qualifications: The preferred candidate will have practical experience in current planning for a municipal or county government and in the preparation of long-range comprehensive plans at the local or regional level. A master’s degree in community and regional planning or a related field is required, along with at least two years of professional experience. A bachelor’s degree and four years of experience in planning may be substituted for the master’s degree. Foreign degrees and credentials will be considered.
For more information and to apply, please visit: www.gnrc.org/jobs